1025 Thomas Jefferson St, NW
8th Floor, West Tower
Washington, DC 20007-5201
Garrett A. Stone principal
For more than three decades, Garrett Stone has represented large industry-leading companies that have operations and/or products that create the need for specialized expertise related to energy supply and regulation. Whether such companies are major energy users, suppliers of energy efficiency and/or demand response, or suppliers of actual power and energy, Garrett utilizes his experience and knowledge on both the state and national level to create customized approaches to meet their specific needs. Since energy production, supply and use are often highly regulated at the state level, a common thread running throughout these matters is the ability to develop solutions specific to each state based on an understanding of the complex legal, technical and regulatory interrelationships in the energy industry, comparative approaches to energy regulation, and the unique issues that apply in a particular location.
Representing very large consumers of electricity and natural gas specifically, Garrett advises and assists these clients in managing their energy supply portfolios, including the terms, conditions, pricing and legal issues related to their supply contracts (whether regulated or not). This representation includes dealing with all types of energy suppliers and related parties including investor-owned utilities, rural electric cooperatives, natural gas suppliers and pipelines, federal, state and municipally-owned utilities, regional transmission organizations, power marketers and retail suppliers, with the objectives of lower energy costs, reduced risks and improved terms and conditions of service. Garrett participates in federal and state utility regulatory proceedings, and in appellate cases as necessary, to protect client interests, addressing proposed rate increases, fuel cost review, energy efficiency and demand-side programs, integrated resource planning, restructuring, mergers, renewable energy and other utility issues.
Representing various clients related to energy efficiency, primarily in the building industry, including energy efficiency groups and coalitions, Garrett's areas of primary activity include development, adoption, implementation, enforcement and compliance related to model, federal, state and local building, green and energy codes, as well as governmental and utility energy-efficiency-related market transformation programs, like EPA’s Energy Star programs, tax credits, and other programs and standards related to energy efficient products and buildings.
Building Codes and Regulation
- Development and advocacy of proposed amendments to and interpretations of model, state and local codes and regulations (such as the International Building Code, International Energy Conservation Code, and International Residential ...
Electric and Natural Gas Utility Law
- Advice and representation regarding product energy efficiency testing, certification and labeling
- Development and advocacy of proposals regarding energy efficiency, energy conservation and demand-side management ...
Public Policy and Law
- Legislative, regulatory, and executive ...
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, With Honors, Law Review: North Carolina Law Review
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Asheville
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- Colorado (inactive)
- United States Supreme Court
- American Bar Association, Administrative Law, Litigation, Public Utilities Sections
- International Code Council
- Association of Energy Services Professionals